Pluggable module requirements list, extracted from the minutes of the MSA meeting held
last September in Chicago.
(Newly added items begin with +)
- Compatible with different motherboard thicknesses Need to define min and max range of MB
- Mezzanine height: Must meet the requirements of PMC Fig 4.8 (Y: After install, Z: during
and after attach). 9.8mm does not apply at the bezel boundary.
- + 9mm Max protrusion from front of bezel
- + Module length from front of bezel to back of module is 40.56 mm
- Move electrical connector as far away from the optical connector as possible.
- 0.55" pitch for the module to include all emi solutions.
- Single metal cased electrical RJ-45 approx. 16mm wide (> 0.6"), all plastic
approx. 0.6". Eight port harmonica 0.57" average.
- Easily removable (no special tool for hot plugable version) in high density belly-to
- Side pull Bellcore GR-326-Core 20N, 90deg.
- Module mounting must withstand the connector Strength of Coupling Mechanism test (IEC
1300-2-6) 40N axial load as a minimum.
- + The release force of the module latch must be less than the force needed to pull off
or damage the guide rail system from PCB
- + No damage shall occur to the mechanical integrity of the connector and guide rail
system when 100N is applied to any direction in the x , y and z plane at the end of the
optical connector. ( A mechanical stop must be included in the design )
- Module plug/unplug cycle requirement 100 minimum
- Module insertion/de-insertion forces for Z-axis style must be less than 20N
- Electrical connector must support 10 and 20 contacts
- Z-Axis hot plugable
- + 1.2 mm rail system height
- ? - Can the 1.2 mm rail height increase at some point behind the bezel
- + 1.5 mm min spacing between top of rail system and bottom of module PCB
- Electrical performance up to 5Gbd.
- Minimal licensing cost fees. "non-discriminatory and reasonable"
- Goal: Whole solution (connector and guide rail) <$1
- Minimize holes in customer PCB
- Define single bezel opening to support all three connectors
- + Chassis ground must be available from the rail system
- + Signal ground in electrical connector only
- EMI for open ports needs to be addressed by MSA document
- Electrical performance: 100 ohm differential impedance I/O requirement objective for the
- connector system.
- Contact current 500mA minimum per contact.
- Pin sequencing required for Z-axis. Assumed to be minimum of two grounds for early make
and late break.
- Capacitors, decoupling, coupling, terminations need to be defined
- Pin definitions need to be defined
- 3.3V only
- Z-axis soft start: Module or host?
- PCB layout demonstrated, including PS filtering, data/clock lines etc. (i.e. Application
- Environmental Conditions
- + Audible or physical indication that module is engaged/disengaged
- + Rail system must include sufficient lead-in to prevent mis-engagement
- + Mechanical latch does not enter into optical port